La Mota Castle Castillo de la Mota
North west of Madrid and south of Vallodolid is a 14th century medieval castle with long walls and large tower making it one of the largest towers in Castile which was used as a fortress and in its day was a strategic military centre.
With a drawbridge (now fixed for visitors) and a trapezoid floor plan bridge an arch with two turrets and the royal coat of arms of the Catholic Monarchs. The interior has four towers with a courtyard, around which the different parts of the building are arranged. It was the Crown’s Archive in the reign of Henry IV. Given its enormous dimensions, it was also put to military use as an arsenal for artillery, and was one of the objectives of the Royalists in the uprising of the communards in the 16th century. It served as a prison for personages of note during the 16th and 17th centuries, and at one time played host to Juana la Loca. In 1942, after the Spanish Civil War, it became a training school.